Tiramisu-Oreo Gourmet Cake for hubby's birthday!





Oh my it has been a while since my last post hasn't it? I can not believe that it is nearly half way through 2013! gosh time sure flies...

I do admit that I have been a slack in updating the blog and I apologise...I have been really busy with a lot of things...cakes, family, life, etc...

Since november last year till early this year, I was busy renovating a new kitchen site for Bake-a-boo. After all the stress and hard work...few months ago it was done and finished! yay!!
So now Bake-a-boo Cakes is officially up and running as a professional cakery...I am proud to say that Bake-a-boo's kitchen has an A grade council approved!!

I will try to post some pictures of the kitchen when I have spare time.

Anyway, last Monday was hubby's birthday. Last year I made him the Neapolitan chocolate cake...this year I didn't have any plan of what to make for him. Mainly because this year I am super busy so I don't have much spare time anymore..poor hubby :(
However..because I love him so much..I had to make time to make him something! lol

The idea of the cake came up the last minute...Superhero theme!
Because he is the superhero in our lives and because of him I can do what I do now...I can pursue my dream of having my own cake business and not only that..I can do it from home!
(yes he bought me this house that we live now so I could open up a commercial kitchen at our residential home!)

The concept of the cake is simple...Minion as Batman theme and because I didn't have time to decorate the cake..I let the boys drew on the cake! They had a blast!
The orange colour drawing was done by Koda and the green one by Zac my baby.
I chose The Minion because my hubby is bald and cute as Minion lol!






For the dessert, I have been craving for Tiramisu...but I wanted to be a bit more adventurous and tried something a bit different.
I came up with the idea of combining Tiramisu and Oreos...thinking that my idea was original and it was so not after I googled it! lol

Anyway..original or not original ...it was super delicious!!








Here is the recipe:

Tiramisu-Oreo Gourmet Cake

1x Store bought sponge cake, cut into 2 layers.
1 packet of Italian sponge finger biscuits

3 eggs, separated
1TBS sugar
250g mascarpone
300ml cream

1 cup espresso or strong instant coffee, cooled 
4TBS brandy
Combine liquid together.

1 packet of Oreos, separate the biscuits and fillings ( Crush half packet of Oreo biscuits and keep the half whole)





Method:

- Beat egg yolks, sugar and Oreo fillings until light and smooth.
- Fold in the mascarpone and then the egg whites (which have been beaten until stiff). Set aside.
- Whip the cream until set but don't over beat. Set aside
- Using springform pan, place 1st layer of sponge cake on the middle bottom of the pan.
Note: I did not use the cake pan plate, only the ring and place it directly on to the serving plate.
The size cake pan I used is 7".
- Brush enough coffee and brandy mixture on to the sponge cake (the amount you want to put in the cake depends to your liking..but if you do put too much then the cake base will be watery the next day)




- Place the sponge finger biscuits around the sponge cake ( see pic )
- Cover the cake with the approx 1/3 of mascarpone mixture.
- Dip oreo biscuits in the coffee and brandy.
- Place Oreo biscuits and top with 1/2 of the whipped cream.







- Place 2nd layer of sponge cake on top of the whipped cream layer.
- Repeat the layers again to use the remaining mixtures.
- Sprinkle over Oreo crush biscuits to decorate.
- Chill for at least 3 hours or overnight.





If you don't have a springform cake pan or if you just want to do it the simpler way..you can just skip the sponge finger biscuits and do it in a regular dish :)

Happy baking!
Elina


Comments

  1. This looks absolutely wonderful! My husband would do backflips for this cake. :) I am pinning right now. Since your family likes Oreos, I have to invite you to come by my blog and check out my current giveaway of a pair of diprs - in other words, cookie spoons! http://www.hungryharps.com/2013/05/the-dipr-review-giveaway.html Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you will share this yumminess at my blog hop xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds delicious.thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello friends, how is everything, and what you would
    like to say concerning this post, in my view its in fact amazing
    for me.

    Also visit my web blog ... Sessel mit Aufstehhilfe

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was super yummy! The only suggestion I have is don't use too much marscapone. Just what the recipe calls for. My second try was amazing! It tasted like a tiramisu and an Oreo had a love child!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts