How to make Minions cake pops from Despicable Me movie



Oh I just love this character..they are so adorable!
I made these little guys last week for our little minions. To match the birthday cake theme I thought it would be cute to make little minions cake pops.

I have to say that they were not the best and smoothest cake pops out there.. but they definitely tasted really good! The problem was because I put too much frosting in my cake batter. So when I dipped the cake balls into the melted candy coating, they fell off the stick and crumbled :(
Luckily I could save some good ones!

If you notice in the picture, there are 2 odd ones...Those are my 1st two trial pops. They didn't fall off the stick or crumbled but the texture was not smooth because the candy coating was too thick. So I added shortening until it was thin enough to work with.

If you want to make these guys, here is what you need:

Firstly, Follow the basic instructions for cake pops and use the following to decorate:

Wax paper
Yellow candy melts(1 lb. pkg.)
Lollipop sticks
Edible ink pens
Queen Writing Icing set, you can get this from local supermarket.
Large diameter straw, I used this to cut the eyes.
Fondant icing
Black gel food colouring
Toothpicks




When you get into the stage of shaping the cake, first shape them into balls around 5cm in diameter. You can also weight them to get the same size of balls. Then with both your hands roll them to capsule-like shape. As you can see in the picture, I made few longer ones and few more rounded ones.




Cover with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator for several hours.
TIP: You can speed this up by placing in the freezer for about 15 minutes.

Melt chocolate in the microwave per directions on package. (30 sec intervals), stirring in between.

Dip the tip of your lollipop stick in a little of the melted candy coating and insert into the cake balls. (Insert a little less than halfway). If you can't find lollipop sticks, you can also use ice cream sticks. They are cheaper, just less pretty :)

Place them in the freezer for a little while to firm up.

Once firm, carefully insert the cake ball into the candy coating by holding the lollipop stick and rotating until covered. Once covered remove and softly tap and rotate until the excess chocolate falls off. Don’t tap too hard or the cake ball will fall off, too.

Place in a styrofoam block to dry.
 

Once dry, you can start to decorate them.

For the goggle/eyes:

Take a small piece of fondant icing and mix a tiny amount of black gel food colouring into white fondant icing to make grey colour fondant. Add more black if the colour is not grey enough. Just keep adding small amount of colour until you get the desired colour. Mix colour until it's well mixed.

Roll grey coloured fondant about 4-5mm thickness and cut out a round shape using the straw. Then carefully flatten the cut out fondant so you make a slightly bigger round shape.

Roll white coloured fondant thinly about 2mm and cut out a round shape using the straw.

Brush back of fondant with water. Attach smaller shape to larger one. 
Brush again back of the eyes with water then position the eyes approx near the top.
Press them onto cake; hold until decoration feels secure.

Wait until the eyes are dry, draw the eye balls with an edible ink pen. Allow ink to dry!



For the goggle band, hair and mouth, originally I was going to use edible ink pen, unfortunately my pen was running out of ink..so I had to improvised.
I decided to use the green colour writing icing and they turned out quite good!

For the clothes: Draw the clothes using the blue colour writing icing. Use a toothpick to help spread the icing evenly.

Let the icing completely dry.


 



Happy baking everyone!

Comments

  1. I wanted to thank you sooooo much for this tutorial!! It helped me a LOT for a cake I am making. They turned out simply adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure! Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea and its actually what I am making for my son, how did you do the big cake? If you could email me at autismmommy021412@yahoo.com and let me know I would appericate it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI, Great job on minions! can you tell me how many cake pops came out with the amy you indicated for ingredients? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! from the basic instruction (on Bakerella's website) you will get around 40-45 cake pops depending on how big you make them. With these minion cake pops, I half the recipe so I ended up with 18 minions cake pops. Hope that helps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    Thank you for the inspiration. I have just finished making these minion cake pops for my son's Birthday today. They are sooo cute. Cheers, Roanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really really cute idea! Must save your recipe for my next party!

    Highly recommended Affordable Minnesota Divorce Lawyer

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts